top of page
7B. The Bavarian 
TAP ROOM & ITS STEINS and Beer Tokens
THE TAP ROOM

 

Decades ago, nearly every brewer had a Tap Room, including the Bavarian Brewing Co. The former Bavarian Tap Room is often referred to herein as simply the Tap Room.  As the name implies, it was a place to taste freshly made draught beer from kegs that were just tapped. Bavarian had a Tap Room in its earlier years, which was located near its first Brew House. A newer Brew House was built in 1910 on the south side of the brewery site. After Prohibition, if not before, the Bavarian Tap Room was located in what may have been on the second floor of this newer Brew House. This was where clients and guests of the brewer could sample beer, which was often accompanied with stick pretzels served in small wood bowls.Besides beer, if there were minors using the tap room or anyone that didn't prefer to drink beer, the tap room also offered root beer.  The Tap Room was also used for employee meetings and by employees. A photo of the entrance to the Tap Room is shown in the photo on the left below. It was taken years after the brewery was abandoned and the windows, wood and metal railings show various degrees of deterioration. 

 

The Bavarian Tap Room was paneled in wood and had high shelves above the paneling to display steins, bottles and other items. The steins were usually for display only, with the beer usually served in smaller glasses, like the ones shown on the inside the tap room, below. The center photo shows Ray Hoffman in the middle who was the General Manager of Bavarian from the 1940's until the mid 1950's. Apparently he was speaking to some employees while enjoying Bavarian's beer. The other photo shows a group of Bavarian executives. The photo on the far right shows a Bavarian Sign that was also displayed in the 1902 photo, shown in period 4, The Early 1900s.  A couple chargers on the paneled walls behind the bar and some steins and bottles on the ledge above the wood paneling are visible in the interior tap room photos. (Please see Trays & Chargers.) These decorations provided an upscale atmosphere for the Bavarian Tap Room. However, because some decorations were specific to the brewer, Tap Rooms were usually rather unique to each brewery.

The above "Germania" stein by Mettlach was handed down within the William Riedlin and Schott families. It is about 23-inches tall and 5.75 liters in size. This same stein is shown in the 1902 photo shown under the Riedlin Years and also in a 1960 ad under Ads: 1957-1966

The photos below are of the Bavarian Tap Room. The outside photo was taken in the 1990's, after the brewery had been abandoned for almost 30 years. The other two photos are of the interior of the Tap Room taken in the mid-1950's. In the middle photo, Ray Hoffman, the G.M., is making a presentation. In the far right photo, President Wm. R. Schott and Secretary / Treasurer Louis L. Schott are seated third and fourth from the left, entertaining radio and TV personalities.

Other photos of the Tap Room and its entrance are located in period 7. Schott Brothers & WWII, period 8. Schott Family & Post WWII and period 9. Turnaround Efforts.  Please note that there was another Bavarian Tap Room that operated in the 1970s after the brewery closed as and independent bar. For more information on this bar can be found in period 11. Brewery Closed & Sold.

BAVARIAN TAP ROOM STEINS

A common decoration in most tap rooms are German steins. Below are just some of more than a few dozen or more steins that were displayed on the shelves of the Bavarian Tap Room, which were handed down within the Riedlin and  Schott Families. The Mettlach Symphonia Stein is shown on the left. It is 5.5 litters in size and depicts  several German composers. The steins displayed on the shelf below rested on the ledges or a display case in the Bavarian Tap Room.  They range is size from 0.5 to 1.0 litters. The first three steins on the left are etched and made by Mettlach with lids are pewter with ceramic inserts. The middle stein is of stoneware relief with German inscriptions.  The three items on the left are print over glaze pottery steins with pewter lids. Steins made entirely of pewter are shown on the right below.  More information about the steins can be obtained by selecting the image. 

The Tap Room also displayed some other larger steins shown on the right and below, with views of both the front and sides.   The pewter stein to the right is about  4 liters in size and illustrates a different large image and portrait image on three sides.  It also has a decorative clasp attached to the lid. Unfortunately, it does not contain any legible markings for better identification.