top of page
Blueprints Bavarian Aerial for c. 1950 16x9 BW1a.jpg
8A3. BAVARIAN BREWING CO. PLANT No. 1 (1949)
The Stock, Bottling & Boiler Houses & Other Buildings
Blueprints, Photos & Information

Please know that the plans shown below are best viewed on a large monitor or, at a minimum, a laptop or iPad; not a smart phone. 

 

The Other Buildings

Besides the Brew and Mill House (10A & 10B shown in gold) presented in the previous section, 8A1, Brew House Blueprints..., there were several other buildings that comprised the brewery complex. Blueprints with accompanying photos and information for the other structures shown on, which are identified on the Plot Plan and Aerial Photo below, are presented in the following. Unfortunately, only the Brew / Mill House remain.
    

 

The BLUEPRINTS FOR EACH STRUCTURE

In the following, blueprints are provided for each of the buildings identified on Plot Plan and aerial photo above, except for the Brew House, which has previously been addressed. These plans provide the ability to analyze the use of each floor, the equipment utilized and the former operations of the brewery. Exterior and interior photos of these other structures of the brewery accompany the blueprints.

The Stock Houses

Including the Main Stock House (3A), the Rack House (3B) and the Wash House (3C)

These three structures are shown separately on the Plot Plan, but they were built at the same time starting in 1903, and they were often simply referred to collectively as the Stock House. The sign that says "Stock House," shown in the first photo below, is on a three-story structure plus an upper floor for ventilation (3A), which adjoined the Brew House.  In front of it is a four-story structure identified as the Rack House (3B) on the Plot Plan, but as mentioned, it may have more commonly been known as a (smaller) Stock House. This is because there was only a Racking Room on the first floor of this structure, however, Ale Stock Cellar C was on the second floor, and Fermentation Room B was on the third floor. From a practical standpoint, the workers at the brewery probably referred to specific Fermenting Cellars (A-C) or Stock Cellars (A-E) rather than referring to a structure by a specific name. As shown on the floor plans, these structures had access to one another and also to the Brew / Mill House. 

STOCK HOUSE  (3A)

This four-story structure included a possible ventilation area on the very top (not shown on the plans), Fermentation Room A on the third floor, and Stock Cellars A and B on the first and second floors, respectively, consisting of beer storage tanks. It may seem strange that floors above ground were called cellars. However, before there were advancements in refrigeration, both fermentation and storage tanks were located underground in lager cellars where cooler temperatures were easier to achieve and maintain. Once refrigeration improved and fermentation and storage could be provided in buildings above ground, the floors in these structures were still often called cellars or occasionally rooms. The last photo below showing open wood barrels, which required a skimming process, is believed to be from Fermentation Room/Cellar A.