4C. Baseball In Northern Kentucky - Cincinnati &
THE COVINGTON BLUE SOX (1913)
A former lager cellar & tunnel, built in the 1880s, remains.
The Blue Sox played at Federal Field, a/k/a Riverbreeze Park, located off south of Second Street between Scott and Madison streets. The ballpark had a capacity of 6,000, but the outfield depths were quite short, from 194 feet in right to 267 feet in center.
As the season entered the summer, attendance especially during the weekdays, declined. With a population of 55,000 at that time, Covington simply wasn't large enough to support a professional baseball team. The Blue Sox moved to Kansas City during its first year at the end of June, and were renamed the Packers. The Federal League was short lived dissolving in 1915.
The background photo of this page is of the Federal Ball Park in Covington, KY in 1913.