THE BAVARIAN BREWERY EXHIBIT
& MEETING ROOM
THE BAVARIAN BREWERY HISTORY TOLD IN A STORYBOARD
& IN THE MEETING ROOM / HALLWAY
LOCATED IN THE FORMER BREWERY BUILDING
The Bavarian Brewery Exhibit
The Cincinnati area has a proud brewing heritage. One of the most significant vestiges of a Pre-Prohibition brewery that remains in the area today is the former Bavarian Brewery. In conjunction with these efforts to preserve and reuse this former brewery, efforts have also been made to preserve the history of the Bavarian Brewery dating back to 1866, and that links to the Over The Rhine (OTR) area of Cincinnati decades earlier. It resulted in The Bavarian Brewery Exhibit located in the former Brew House, which is now next to the Information Desk, in the Kenton County (KY) Government Center. The main attraction is a giant storyboard, measuring 10 x 30 feet, resembling a mirror image of the main structure that consisted of the Brew, Mill and Stock Houses. It contains 22 windows, over 60 frames, some 90 photos and images plus 50 photos of former brewery workers, along with accompanying descriptions, which tells the history of the brewery. In addition, there is an acrylic wall with graphics and a barrel display next to this storyboard, which contain various brewery artifacts and former advertising memorabilia. (See Breweriana.) Diagrams of the exhibit and a display are to the right. To take a virtual tour of the exhibit, including its plans, contents of each window and the barrel display, please click here. This exhibit was unveiled at the dedication of the Kenton County office complex on November 15, 2019. This permanent exhibit and the displays are also available for public viewing during regular workdays from 8 am to 5 pm. It is conveniently located off of the lobby entrance. For directions to the Kenton County Government Center and the Exhibit, please see Contact / Visit Us.
L. Ried Schott
Jack Gore, Architect
Kenton County Fiscal Court
Photo Credits: Kenton County Public Library, Behringer-Crawford Museum and the Schott Family Collection, William P. Schott, L.R. Schott, Bob Hebbeler, Robert Musson and Gary Schmeh.
This permanent exhibit was provided through a collaboration of of those acknowledged on the sidebar and a generous donation of one of the decedents of the former owner and operators. The aforementioned museum is the curator of the exhibit and displays. They have responsibilities to maintain the exhibit, supplement the artifacts on display and rotate them periodically. The exhibit is designed so that the windows can be replaced with different images and information, and the contents in the display cabinets can be changed. Therefore, to improve and modify the exhibit, any donation or loan of any artifacts related to the Bavarian Brewery would be greatly appreciated. Such items can be provided to the Behringer - Crawford Museum (firstname.lastname@example.org).
As part of the Exhibit, and also on this website, there is an area providing A Tribute to the many men and women who worked at the Bavarian Brewery. The brewery had a Rathskeller in its earlier years that was used for social, business and civic events, as well as a Tap Room.
The Riedlin-Schott Room & Its Hallway Entrance
For Meetings, Events and Conferences In the Former Offices of the Historical Bavarian Brewery
Continuing the tradition at the brewery where different civic groups, companies and families in the community were provided with the Rathskeller or Tap Room was used for special occasions, Kenton County is also providing a space for such uses. It is called the Riedlin-Schott Room, named after the families that had ownership in the brewery for over 80 years, and is available to community organizations, businesses and families. It is situated on the second floor of the south wing of the Kenton County Government Center, in what was formerly the offices of the Bavarian Brewery. To enter the hallway that leads to this room, the main access is over a bridge that crosses the indoor atrium connecting the south and north buildings. In the beginning of the hallway, which is where the brew kettle was formerly situated, there are a couple display cabinets containing numerous brewery artifacts. The walls will be lined with graphics including large aerial photos, early 1900 lithographs, Brew House photos that show how beer was made in the the brewery and beer ads from 1935 to 1966. Original wood doors and windows are used for some of these displays. The Riedlin-Schott room contains about 2,000 square feet and features original brick walls, several large windows with excellent natural light, industrial style lighting and special beer lights (using 60 Pre-Prohibition embossed bottles). In addition, an original c. 1900 wood cellar door and two metal fermentation doors are mounted on one of the walls. Further, there will be a display case with historical items as well as numerous barrel lids and graphics that provide additional information about the brewery, the building and the specific area where the noted room is located.
The room can seat approximately 100 people at round six (6) person tables, about 50 people in classroom style seating and over 150 people in theater style seating. For presentations, it is equipped with 3 wall mounted monitors, 2 movable monitors and a podium with a built-in speaker, including a blue-tooth enabled microphone. Alcohol can also be served at this venue.
For information on scheduling this unique and historical room and hallway for a meeting, conference or event, please contact Sue Kaiser at 859-392-1400 x1415 or email@example.com.
The background photo is of a Bavarian Brewery Underground Lager Cellar, which still exists.