Signs for retail and commercial use have an ancient history dating to the ancient Romans and Greeks, who used a whitening area outside of stores for postings. The Chinese appear to be the first to use paper signs, which began in the ninth century, if not earlier. There have been a wide variety of different types of signs in America, beginning with some of the first settlements. They likely began with wooden signs. However, lighted signs didn't begin until the late 1800's. An excellent display of signs in the U.S. is available at the American Sign Museum.
BEER SIGNS Before Prohibition, or Pre-Prohibition (Pre-Pro).
The use of signs for brewers and taverns in the U.S. probably began with wooden signs. Signs were also painted on buildings. When electricity became available commercially with the electric arc beginning in 1870 they provided illumination onto signs. However, it wasn't until around the early 20th Century that incandescent lights were used, which allowed signs to be created from bulbs, or more commonly, to be backlit. Backlit signs could be made by installing lights inside boxes of wood or metal boxes that had cut outs for letters and/or shapes that were often covered with glass, or that simply illuminate images or letters on painted on glass. As incandescent lighting was becoming more prevalent only just before Prohibition, most signs before then were of wood, metal, glass, mirror or simply on the outdoor sides of brick or wood buildings. During this period before 1920, most saloons or taverns had exclusive agreements with one brewer. So, there was more of a need to promote a saloon, and less of a need to display signs to promote a beer or brewer in such places. Nevertheless, basic beer signs for both inside and outside of a drinking establishment were supplied. In addition, within a brewer's offices or tap room, or in finer drinking or dining establishments, some larger and more detailed signs and posters were made to promote a beer or the brewer. Examples of most of most of these early beer signs can be found under Signs: Pre-Prohibition.
The sign industry changed a great deal during almost 14 years of Prohibition beginning in 1920, due to the use of lighting. One of the most impactful types of lighting in the 1930's for a couple of decades were neon lighting, which was first used in the U.S. in the 1920's. Even though it was first only available in a red color, different colors were introduced making it much more appealing. Please see Signs: Neon.
Some materials formerly used Pre-Prohibition were also used afterwards, such as mirrors, reverse glass and metal signs, but rather infrequently. The Pre-Pro use of wood signs were essentially abandoned after Prohibition, as they were much more expensive than than the alternatives provided by newer materials and improved technology.
Brewers began to become much more aggressive with providing different types of advertising and promotional items after Prohibition. However, for Bavarian Brewing Co., such advertising memorabilia are more limited until shortly after WWII, or around 1946. This is because the brewery didn't reopen until 1935 and few if any advertising materials of any type were made for Bavarian before 1938 due to the limited financial resources of the firm, and before its bankruptcy in late 1937. For the period between 1938 and 1942, the new ownership of the brewery was increasing its brewing capacity and distributorships, re-establishing itself with newspaper and radio ads and apparently decided to provide few promotional advertising items at that time. WWII began in 1942 and the country was under rations with a substantial portion of the country's men serving abroad until 1945. This reduced the need to utilize promotional advertising not only for Bavarian, but for other brewers as well. The brand names during this early post Prohibition period between 1938 and 1945 were Bavarian Master Brand, Schott Ale and Cincinnati's Pride Beer. It wasn't until 1946 that the brewery established it's flagship brand beer as Bavarian's Old Style Beer, and then modified it to Bavarian's Select Beer in 1957. It's during this two decade period from 1946 until the brewery closed in 1966 that most signs and other advertising items for the aforesaid beer names were made and distributed by Bavarian Brewing Co. In particular, the development of plastics, lead to the more prevalent use of plastic backlit signs beginning in the late 1940's. Please see Signs: Backlit.
Further, signing for advertising was also provided on what is referred to as Shelf &/or Back Bar Items or signs.
Note: If you have any signs or other objects or images of Bavarian Brewing Co. items not shown on this web site, and particularly between 1935 and 1946 under the various brand names previously noted for this time frame, please let us know.